Changing Your Passport

By in Legal Requirements, Wedding Articles | 0 comments


If you are a woman and you are changing your name when you get married, your passport is the one document you can get changed for up to three months before you get married, to show your married name. However, your new passport will only be valid from the date of your wedding since it will be post dated. Please note, if the country you are visiting requires a visa, check with your travel agent (or the country’s embassy) to ensure that a visa can be stamped in a post dated passport. If this is not possible, you will need to travel using your passport in your maiden name.

You should also be aware that some countries will not accept an unamended passport (i.e. still in your maiden name), even if you carry your marriage certificate with you. Therefore, you must arrange to have a post dated passport issued in your married name. Again, clarify this with your travel agent.

If you are undecided about changing your name when you get married, please read our article changing your name upon marriage. You will find it helpful.

How to change your name in your passport

ChangingYourPassportIf you decide to change your name, it’s important to change your passport too. Some countries might not accept an unamended passport even if you carry your marriage certificate (you can check this with your travel agent or the countrys consulate), so its well worth having the name changed on your passport well in advance.

This can be done any time up to three months before the wedding, although youll be unable to use your passport until the actual day of your marriage.

Your new passport

You will need to apply for a new standard 10-year passport. If you are already a passport holder this will mean surrendering your present passport. Your new passport will be valid for 10 years and up to a further 9 months depending on the remaining validity on your passport (in whole months, minimum one month, and maximum nine months). Please sign your new name in section 09. Payment for a new passport is £66.

Where to obtain your passport application form

A passport application form and form PD2 are available from post offices and branches of Worldchice travel agents. These ‘high street partners’ as they are called, also provide a checking service to ensure your application form has been completed correctly and all the appropriate documentation has been enclosed. They will also securely transmit your application form to the appropriate passport office.

The same applies if you change your passport after your wedding, apart from having form PD2 signed. Instead you will simply send off your original marriage certificate and, if this is not your first name change, your original birth certificate.

Belfast Passport Office

Address: Hampton House, 47-53 High Street, Belfast, BT1 2QS.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm (except public holidays).

Areas covered: All of Northern Ireland.

Glasgow Passport Office

Address: 3 Northgate, 96 Milton Street, Cowcaddens, Glasgow, G4 0BT.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm (except public holidays).

Areas covered: All of Scotland and all London boroughs.

Liverpool Passport Office

Address: 101 Old Hall Street, Liverpool, L3 9BD.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm (except public holidays).

Areas covered: Cheshire, Cleveland, Cumbria, Derbyshire, Durham, Greater Manchester, Tyne and Wear, Humberside, Lancashire, Merseyside, Northumberland, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire, Staffordshire, West Yorkshire, Shropshire.

London Passport Office

Address: Globe House, 89 Eccleston Square, London, SW1V 1PN.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8.15am to 4pm (except public holidays).

Areas covered: The London office deals with personal callers only from any region of the UK however, there is an additonal charge for this service. Postal applications from residents of London boroughs should be sent to the Glasgow passport office.

Newport Passport Office

Address: Olympia House, Upper Dock Street, Newport, Gwent, NP9 1XA.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm (except public holidays).

Areas covered: Avon, Berkshire, Clwyd, Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Dyfed, East Sussex, Gloucestershire, Gwent, Gwynedd, Hampshire, Hereford, Isle of Wight, Mid Glamorgan, Oxfordshire, Powys, Somerset, South Glamorgan, Surrey (except London boroughs), West Glamorgan, West Sussex, Wiltshire.

Peterborough Passport Office

Address: Aragon Court, Northminster Road, Peterborough, PE1 1QG.

Opening hours: Monday to Friday 9am to 4.30pm (except public holidays).

Areas covered: Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Essex (except London boroughs), Hertfordshire (except London boroughs), Kent (except London boroughs), Leicestershire, Lincolnshire, Norfolk, Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire, Suffolk, Warwickshire, West Midlands.

For more information visit

Visa waring

Please note, consulates of some countries cannot grant visas on post-dated or amended passports. Therefore, you should check with the consulate of the country you are honeymooning in before making arrangements to have your passport changed to your new name. Remember, you can always travel on your existing passport in your maiden name and arrange to have your passport changed upon your return to the UK. If you do this, you should take your marriage certificate with you.

How much time to allow

You can visit any of the passport offices in person to apply for your new passport (or have it amended). Depending upon how busy the office is, it can take from just an hour or two, but be prepared to spend much longer there should they be busy.

For postal applications, passport offices take up to two weeks to turnaround a straight forward passport application but to be safe you should send your application at least six weeks before your passport is needed. However, if a visa is required for your honeymoon destination, you should enquire with the embassy or consulate of the country that you intend to visit to check how much time should be allowed for processing your visa application. Please bear in mind that between February and June most people apply for their passport, so applications can take several weeks longer to be processed.

Honeymooners with children

If you are taking children on honeymoon with you it should be remembered that unless they are included on an existing passport they are now legally required to have one in their own name. Passports for children are obtained by completing the standard passport application form. Children aged 16 and over cannot travel on a parent’s passport.

Travelling in Europe

A passport is still required for travelling to European destinations. This includes travel by Eurostar and day trips. Some European countries have abandoned routine passport checks at their land borders but they still expect visitors to be able to produce either a valid passport or a national identity card if asked for. As the UK does not issue national identity cards, you must be in possession of a valid, standard 10 year passport. You will also need to show your passport to immigration control when you return to the UK.

The above information was correct at the time of updating. Please check with relevant authorities for current information.

If you still have any unanswered questions about changing your name in your passport, please post your question on our Wedding Forum.

Share and Enjoy

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS

Post a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Current month ye@r day *